Surrounded by Genius

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

SHEM Rocks!!

Last night, I got to go to a Homeschool Curriculum Sale. It was so exciting!! I had so much fun. Jenn had a table of stuff to sell and I tagged along to help... she couldn't find any homeschool moms brave enough to go with her, so she was stuck with me. Most people were really...well, let's say interesting. Several were very friendly and chatted. Several more shopped with an intensity that was both a little frightening and yet amusing. These women never said a word. They didn't even notice me!! It was like "dollar a yard day" in fabric at Wal-Mart without the little old ladies. I was hoping I'd get to see a fight, but everyone stayed civil.(darn)

I did learn that SHEM does not stand for Scorchin'hot Home Educated Man, nor does it stand for Scorchin'hot Home Educating Mama. I never did find out what it really meant. It was more fun to make up my own words to the acronym.

I was amazed by the involvement of the students. They were really checking things out and knew exactly what they needed and wanted to learn. How do I harness that ownership of education and give it to 25 elementary kids? I want the kids in my class to be actively involved in and actively persue their education. I saw moms who were former public school teachers, moms who were so intelligent it hurt to listen to them speak, and one mom who couldn't read the title of a workbook. I accidentally admitted that I work in the public school system a couple of times. The first time, the lady I was gabbing with was super sweet and even had a couple of questions about how "we" do things. The second time, the lady talking to me (I think she was wearing a doily on her head) snorted and looked disgusted. Maybe she didn't like my underwear...who knows.

The best part of the entire evening was hands down having female conversation with a female over the age of seven. Even better, Jenn is one of the most interesting, thoughtful, brilliant people I know. She's very honest about her thoughts and opinions and she thinks deep and her questions and thoughts make me think deep too.I feel more intelligent just by spending time with her. One day, when I grow up, I want to be just like Jenn!!

2 Comments:

At 2:57 AM, Blogger Jennie C. said...

A quick read for you: "The Year of Miss Agnes". If there is a way to get public school kids to "own" their education, this is the way. At least, that's how us homeschoolers do it! (It's a childrens novel, if you are looking at the library.)

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

I have so got you snowed....


:) I had a blast too. If I ever get to sit at the computer for more than 2 minutes at a stretch, I'll be blogging about it too. Great night! Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home