Surrounded by Genius

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Ode to Homeschool Moms

Ack!!! Jenn just pointed out that I probably offended all the homeschool moms because I said I was going to be a *real* teacher. I didn't mean to offend!!! I have been a substitute for 2 years while working on my degree in education (I graduate May 07), so in my feeble mind, I will finally have my own classroom and not be constantly trying to figure out how to manage other teachers' classes. You see, real - not a sub. I have the utmost respect for moms (and dads!) who homeschool. I wanted to homeschool ours (we have four), but then I realized I have no patience when it comes to teaching my own children---other peoples kids, sure, but my own... I'm also incredibly lazy if I'm at home. So, my hat's off to you ladies who homeschool. I am fascinated by you. What an incredible love and mind-blowing dedication!! I desire to be like you. I work in public education where at least half of the parents don't care if their child learns anything or not. The caring is left up to the teachers and administrators. School is just the babysitter to get the kids outta their hair. I love how Jenn calls the bus the "big yellow freedom bird". There has to be someone to educate those kids! I consider anyone who teaches (at home, at parochial, at public) to be equal to, or maybe just a tad greater than me.

6 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

lol - I should have clarified that I was *just kidding*. You're not offensive. Well, maybe you have the ability to be offensive, but never intentionally, and certainly not for being a "real" teacher. lol.

You're too funny.

:)

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Brina said...

Ouch!! Just kidding. I know what you mean. I only offend you!! But you know I love ya'!!

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

No! You don't offend me! I'm just giving you a hard time. I'll stop that now. Um, while I'm at it, I should also apologize for calling you a stalker in the comments section of my blog. It was just a joke! Honest!

Love ya!

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Jennie C. said...

Hi! I just stopped by from Jenn's blog. If you have something to say, someone somewhere is not going to like it. That's okay. It's your blog. I'm a homeschool mom in a family of "real" teachers, and I'm not offended at all by that "real" thing. Mostly because I have learned so much about children and education that I know I know more than they do. :)

Welcome to blogging! Hope you enjoy it.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Brina said...

Jenn and Jennie, I will be running to you with enormous masses of questions as soon as school starts!! I also need direction on the best methods for preschool. I don't care for our local one, but my boys need to learn something before they start school!!

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Ooh- I've found an awesome preschool website! It is: http://www.letteroftheweek.com/preschool_age_3.html

It's got stuff for 2 years old and up. Easy and fun. I like easy. Honor likes fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home